Saturday 13 March 2010

This week's Creative Genius is....



Victoria White from Careford Creations!
Vic uses various mediums to create a beautiful array of gorgeous gifts. From stunning photography to polymer clay, there is something for everyone at Careford Creations.Here Vic discusses her work and what she enjoys most.

So Vic, Tell us abit more about yourself and your craft?
It’s only since the summer that I’ve been able to spend more time doing crafty bits, as I was working as a primary school teacher until then. It’s been great to spend time with my son and become self-employed. As with many crafters, I’ve always loved making things. I think I first started with felt and knitting. Nowadays I take photographs, make photo gifts and lots of different things out of polymer clay. I started taking photographs when I got my first camera for my 9th birthday. I haven’t stopped taking photos since! I decided to start selling them about 10 years ago, although it’s only in the last few years I’ve really done anything about it. Polymer clay is something I came across when I was about 12 and I’ve used it on and off in the 20 years since.
What is your favourite item you have ever made?
That’s a really difficult question! I’m really pleased with this handbound notebook that I made fairly recently. It’s bound using a traditional Japanese stitching method. I love books and Japanese culture so this was the perfect thing for me to make. But then I’m also really pleased with this photo of a falling water droplet. Some photos take hours to set up and shoot and when you get just one or two decent images out of hundreds, it’s a great feeling!
To view vic's favourite creations click the links below:
http://www.folksy.com/items/200710--Pink-Rose-Handbound-Notebook-free-shipping?shop=yes http://www.folksy.com/items/100334--Falling-Water-Droplet-Macro-Photograph-10-x-8-?shop=yes

What do you enjoy most about your craft?
With photography, I love capturing moments that won’t ever be repeated in exactly the same way. I’ve also been into macro photography for just over a year now and find it fascinating to take a shot of something in such detail. With polymer clay, I love experimenting with different techniques. It’s such a versatile medium; it’s wonderful to let your imagination run wild. Although, sometimes I have so many ideas I don’t know where to start!

Where does your inspiration come from?
I never know how to answer this whenever people ask me. I find inspiration everywhere. I might see colours or textures when I’m out or on TV or in a magazine and think how I could use them in a photo. Travelling is always inspirational too – different sights, sounds... Inspiration for polymer clay really comes from anything – animals, structures, colours, food, paintings. I might look at something and think how I could make the same thing, or part of it, out of clay.

Other than craft, what else do you enjoy?
I like reading, although there’s little time for it at the moment. My other favourite thing is travelling, but again, since I had my son 2 and a half years ago, there’s been little time for that either. One thing I do get to do is cooking. I love the fact that I actually enjoy cooking healthy meals for my family! Other than that, I just enjoy spending time with my husband and son and going for walks in the countryside.

What are your views on the handmade community?
I love handmade things! I’ve found the online community to be extremely friendly and always willing to offer advice, especially on Folksy. Sites like Folksy and Etsy have done a huge amount to promote handmade in the last few years.

Apart from yourself, who is your favourite handmade artisan?
That’s another tough one! There really is so many people’s work I admire, but if I have to choose, then I’d say Hide n Seek Illustrations/Hidden Eloise. This was one of the first shops I added to my favourites list, although I haven’t bought anything yet; I just don’t know how to choose! Her illustrations are beautiful. They have a wonderful fairytale feel to them - just the sort of thing I love. She has a shop on Folksy at:
http://www.folksy.com/shops/HiddenEloise/sold


Anything else you would like to say?
Just thanks for interviewing me. It’s been fun!

If you would like to find out more about Vic and her fabulous creations use the links below:
My website is www.carefordcreations.co.uk
My Folksy shop is at http://www.folksy.com/shops/CarefordCreations
My blog is http://www.carefordcreations.blogspot.com/
And my Facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=232909866929#!/pages/Careford-Creations/232909866929

Next week Creative Genius will be interviewing another fantastic artisan.Make sure you don't miss out, click and become a follower now!

1 comment: